[Amc-list] Plastic Paint and I-6 performance.

[Amc-list] Plastic Paint and I-6 performance.

I would not use the Rust-Oleum plastic paint
for automotive applications as I do not think
that it would last or be satisfactory. However
if all I was doing was putting together a
beater with a limited life span for cheap I
might maybe try it. Not when products such as
those offered by SEM are far superior in
performance and can be mixed to exact colors.
Application with an inexpensive air brush
(Harbour Freight about $6.00 on sale) and a
compressor (if you are going to do any serious
automotive work this is a necessity, abet pricey
initially but worth it.) is very easy to
accomplish. Although vendors will package in a
rattle can too so is an easy product to use.
Generally as previously mentioned with something
like a 3 can minimum limit. SEM is not the only
manufacturer for automotive ?Plastic Dye?
products but certainly the most respected.

SNIP
Should I expect my 232 to top out around 65?
SNIP

No, not unless it is geared so short that the
engine is twisted as tight as a drum. These cars
were made to drive at speeds approaching 75 mph
or so when they were new. Many western states
had speed limits that were that high and freeways
toll roads and turnpikes were all in operation.

I drove with my grandfather across country in
1959 with his 1957 Rambler 4 door sedan that
would cruise handily at 75mph.

In general American in line I-6 engines were
never designed to be performance engines though,
that image was left to the V8?s with the exception
of the Pontiac overhead cam Sprint engine that was
available for a few years. Most engines were
under carbureted (An AMC 258 uses a 195 cfm rated
Carter BBD) and that was the big carburetor.
They were all under square, that is the bore was
smaller than the stroke and the stroke is long!
The Plymouth slant 6 225 cu in was 4 ¼ inchs.
Long stroke engines are not happy campers at very
high rpm?s. And the cams are selected by the
factory to give max torque at very low rpms and
then they will fall flat on their faces.
They however are capable of being built to rev
to between 5 and 6000 rpms with out a whole
lot of concerns and with enough money they can
be twisted tighter. This by the way is about the
same rpm range V8s are built to run at easily.
They respond amazingly well to a performance cam
and even with a stock carburetor will run down
the road at freeway speeds pretending to be a
V8. Add a little more carburetor as they are
generally way under carbureted and high rpm
performance will come close to matching a small
2bbl carbureted V8 and give a poor running 4bbl
a run for its money.
Stock, there torque is max at about 1500 rpm, and
very little torque at that, but as it is peaked
so low, it feels peppier than they are as they go
flat not much over 2500 rpm.
I build H.P. engines and have had a lot of fun
with I-6s.
My current F.I. 258 will rev to 5500 rpm which
is where it runs out of cam. It will cruise at
3200 rpm with out a problem and as it is geared
to be a freeway flier at 31 mph/1000 rpm you do
the math! And passing gear is set for W.O. throttle
shift at 75 mph. (Torque flite W/lock up torque
converter)
The same engine stock carbureted started going
flat about 3600 rpm which is about where the
carburetor played out and was not much good
over 4200 rpm.
Cars of the 50?s and early 60?s that were
supposed economy engines and that is what the
I6 configuration was aimed at market wise
should be good for at around 85 or so but maybe
not more and be able to cruise with modern
traffic. I-6 engines built after that still
pretty much met that criteria, performance
was left to the advent of the V6. Most notably
GM and the Buick 3.8 L.  If it can?t then the
tune is not correct or the gearing is that of
an old farm pick up truck.
For me, of primary importance is a good performance
cam, I like and use Iskenderian. Secondary
importance more carburetor.
Exhaust modifications have had little to no affect.
On AMC I like the 81+ exhaust manifold, a big
tail pipe and a performance muffler and call it
good to go.
Although, anything you can afford past that
will only be an improvement even if only minor.
An I-6 can run well reliably and for a long
period of time. They just have a lousy performance
image but they can sure draw attention due to
their uniqness when dressed up for show.
Notable exceptions, Jaguar, BMW, 240Z, Mercedes,
Pontiac Sprint all come to mind, some still in
production.
Have fun
John