Re: [Amc-list] more information on my 63 770

Re: [Amc-list] more information on my 63 770

I wonder what the factory used? The steering wheel on my 67 American is
cast in red and dark green the wheel I bought off eBay a couple months
ago was cast in black. The paint seems to have held up pretty well on both.

Matt

JOE FULTON wrote:
> The Chevy guys on the stovebolt page who have restored
> their own antique truck steering wheels have reported
> that two-part epoxy paint holds up fairly well.
>
> Joe Fulton
> Salinas, CA
> --- Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 05 August 2007 07:16:02 Matt Haas wrote:
>>
>  > I'm not sure what type of paint the factory used
>> on steering
>>> wheels but I would not use a lacquer based paint
>> (which is what most
>>> spray paint is) since the solvents are very
>> aggressive.
>>
>> Been there done that don't bother! (I did our other
>> Hornet's steering wheel
>> black.) Hand wear kills paint ASAP.  For both
>> Hornets, I simply got
>> good-quality leather lace-on steering wheel covers.
>> I did also paint them
>> first, so that there is no color transition and the
>> parts you can see match.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com