Re: [Amc-list] Take a look at a tired old Rambler

On Sunday 05 August 2007 10:53:11 Frank Swygert wrote:

> That the engine was made in 67 is unusual though. The stamping
> looks like it came from the engine plant, but it could have been stamped on
> a block that was made years before and sat ar ound for final assembly --
> the engine code wasn't stamped until the engine was at least ready for
> assembly (it wasn't stamped at the foundry, but the assembly plant).

This is just conjecture, but I imagine the number being stamped on when the
replacement motor was shipped or prepared. If it was a warrenty or at-cost
replacement in 1967, the owner probably wouldn't like seeing that a "two year
old engine was installed!".

Alternatively, short/long blocks could be sitting in stock for years, and
prepped for the target car only as ordered. It could very well have been
outfitted with a remote filter and other water pump, and stamped as a 63
American.

> The hood and grille were likely replaced at some point with used parts,
> possibly the entire front clip. If it were an Ambassador it wouldn't have a
> six cylinder -- 63 Ambassadors all had 327 V-8s. It would also be an 880
> instead of 770 model.

Those grilles are made of been cans -- and not very many beer cans. Very soft
beer cans. You wash them too hard and the little bars bend. It's very hard to
find a good one; after a later collision repair they migt have settled for an
Ambo grille rather than shell out $$$ for a new Classic one.

Mine's so crappy (and it's a replacement) I tapped out the dings and painted
it with black wrinkle paint just to hide the bigger imperfections. If yours
is OK, consider yourself lucky!