Re: [Amc-list] 70 jav dash pad and overlay

Re: [Amc-list] 70 jav dash pad and overlay

I looked in my 70 TSM for this but found very little help, so I took my
chances and got started.

Remove the trim piece under the steering column first and then remove the
four bolts that hold the column to the bracket under the dash.

Remove all the screws that hold the dash overlay, there are several at the
top just under the crash pad and several at the bottom.

There is one or two by the glove box that you should be very careful with,
as the tabs are more "exposed".

Remove the screws that hold the "map" light under the crash pad. Drop the
map light down but don't disconnect it, as you will have to maneuver it
around for the overlay removal when the time comes.

Pull down on the steering column to free up a little space for the overlay
to come out.

Gently tug the overlay out of position with a slightly outward movement at
the bottom and then sort of rotate it just a bit outward at the bottom to
free up the top. Be very gentle with everything and you should be able to
understand how it is held in.

Crash pad  -   twelve fasteners hold it in place.

To get at the fasteners for the crash pad on the passenger side you will
have to remove the glove box door and the box liner. Stick a mirror and
light inside there and you will be able to see all the fasteners.

For the central fasteners, go in from either way and remove the fasteners.
You may need to pull the speaker to get at the fastener there I can't recall
for sure on that one.

To remove the fasteners on the driver's side, first the instrument cluster
must be removed. There are instructions in the TSM for that. Or just remove
the four screws and gently lay it on a rag placed on the steering column.
Remove the clock or blank plate and use a mirror and light to see the
fasteners. You may need to remove the headlight switch to get at the
fasteners there. Push the little button on the switch to remove the knob and
shaft and then remove the retainer nut. Reach in and hold the switch with
you hand while you pull the wire connector away from the switch.

It isn't real tough but it is something that you should do when you feel
rested and relaxed, as these parts are nearly worth their weight in gold.
Just take your time and look it over really well to understand how it all
goes together.

Armand

P.S. Please let me know what Amark does with the rally pack as I'm
interested in that too!