Re: [Amc-list] 327 rebuild

It's a solid engine, not special things to consider that I can think of. Just make sure all oil passages are clean and clear and you should be fine. You might consider having the cam reground. A modest 0.10" increase in lift and 20 degrees more duration will give you a noticeable increase in mid range power without losing bottom end power. Most cam companies will regrind a good used stock cam. I called Lunati and had one ground for a 195.6 years ago. Crane will also do this, or refer you to an affiliate company that can.

One last thing -- double check everything the machine shop does as you assemble. Get some Plastigage for the bearings. They can probably fix a mistake before the engine is run, but afterwards could be costly. They don't build a lot of these engines! Get a TSM and copy the specs pages for them, hand them to the machinist, and let them know you're going to check as you assemble (any good builder would anyway). Sometimes a shop will just assume "an engines and engine" and use the clearances and such they always use. Most of the time this is fine, and I don't know of a particular instance  on the AMC V-8 where it's not, but I prefer they use the AMC specs. The six is a little more picky about piston to wall clearance and maybe valve guide clearance than the V-8.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars