Re: [Amc-list] 70 Donohues

Tom, you won't get any flames from me. You're the expert on the
Donohues, not me. The 1501 was a typo, nothing more. I don't know the
build dates off-hand, but have them in my notes if necessary. That's why
I didn't post any dates. Same with the build sheet code. Don't know it
from memory, can find it if necessary. I stated the two things I'd look
for first to determine if the car could be a Donohue or not.
"Authenticate" wasn't a good word to use in this case. I've seen a 304
column shift car with the spoiler and stickers, and saw the authentic
looking window sticker that was with it. It could have been faked, but
looked to be authentic. The car wasn't in the hands of the original
owner, but was supposedly purchased that way. I've also seen one car
that was ordered with the spoiler/decal but was built 5-6 days after the
last of the 2501 were supposedly built. That one IS in the hands of the
original owner (in Dover, DE) and he has the original sticker. He told
me it was built just days after the last of the "official" Donohues came
off the line, and he's content with that. I don't respond to EVERY post,
and not "usually with misinformation". 90% of the information I post is
accurate. I do occasionally make a mistake, just like everyone else --
including you. Some people may expect me to be correct all the time, but
it just isn't humanly possible. I don't mind being corrected at all,
especially when I know my personal knowledge on a subject is limited
(such as with the Donohue), especially when the person correcting is
more knowledgeable than I. This is a forum where mistakes and
misinformation -- regardless of who posts it -- can be
corrected/discussed. I do request that you be a bit more polite in your
corrections to anyone on this list. Not doing so keeps people from
posting for fear of getting "flamed" who otherwise would post. I've had
that stated to me by two different people in Kenosha this weekend --
that they "lurked" but didn't post because they didn't want to be jumped
on if they were wrong. I understand you feel that I, being a list
moderator and having a generally respected knowledge of AMC, should know
better than to post some things, and/or should word posts more
carefully. Posts are general conversations, not carefully researched
magazine articles. I do make a reasonable effort to post correctly, most
of the time referring to various notes, but not always. Some people do
expect my answers to be correct, but I don't specialize in just a few
vehicles over a rather narrow time frame like you do. That's one reason
I appreciate the fact that you posted a correction to my post. Some
subjects, especially somewhat controversial ones, will ALWAYS keep
coming up. That's just the way things are. Thanks again! ---------------
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:15:33 +0000 From: tbenvie@xxxxxxxxxxx Now that
I do not have any AMC cars I have not checked the forums lately. Did
some catching up today, and found some things just are not going to
change. Frank, why must you always respond to every post, and usually
with misinformation? You did it again with the Donohue, something that
has been discussed ad nauseam with corrections and documented proof, but
you still want to put forth undocumented rumors and stories. You stated
only two things verifying a Donohue is the build date on the door-which
only verifies when it was built and can disqualify a car, but not
authenticate it (and just when are these dates?) Or the build
sheet-where on the build sheet? I spent years researching all the codes,
and I came up with the POSSIBLE code, but it is not verified at all. But
what about dealer documentation, or the sticker price, etc? (And not
that it matters, but I have reproduced build sheets, door decals,
sticker prices, dealer paperwork etc.) There are a number of ways one
can look at the car and determine if it is a possible real one or
not-this has been covered over and over. There are exactly ZERO
documented Donohues that do not meet the correct criteria-just some
people pushing things like 304 engines in a Donohue, or the rare four
bolt main ONLY found in a Donohue. Geez, I thought the days of these
stories were over. Have you SEEN these cars and documentation, or just
heard about them from the same storytellers? Donohues are worth more
than a regular Javelin, just like a T/A Javelin is worth more than a
regular Javelin. The cars had 360 or 390 engines, not 401s. And, they
made 2501 cars, not 1501. Yes, you can tell when a car is built by the
VIN and by door tag info. Flame away-I can't believe the same handful of
people continually put forth incorrect AMC info for years, and even when
shown first hand documentation, continue to ignore the facts and repeat
the stories.

Thomas M. Benvie

--

Frank Swygert