[Amc-list] Genral Automotive Repair Griping

[Amc-list] Genral Automotive Repair Griping

This has been pretty much a productive day. In an effort
to resolve my running hot problem with my Town and
Country the only thing left to change is the Radiator.
So that was the repair problem identified as of last Saturday
and started that day!.
I have not had this much fun replacing parts since I put
a new water pump on my 1987 IROC Z28 Camero. Pre-
Serpentine belts. It had a grand total of 5 v-belts driving
assorted and sundry devices, all fastened some obscure
place on the engine with an assorted collection of SAE
and Metric hardware. I had even forgotten the power
steering pump was on the car as it was buried so deep
it was invisible and out of sight, out of mind. Fortunately
it still had fluid in it when I rediscovered it.

The best part on changing out the radiator on the T&C
was you did not have to remove the engine or the front
fenders. But everything else came off. Eventually! And
it was all Metric so I only had to use a few tools. Some
body must have gotten smarter in the design department
as most of the hardware was 10 mm which I have found
to be a common size in a lot of off shore automobiles.
That dogon near kept it down to a socket and an open
end wrench.

I had to order the Radiator. My friendly CarQuest store
had one shipped in plus other parts that I ordered and
I was able to pick it up this afternoon along with some
hoses. I also stopped down to H&R upholstery and picked
up a double handful of assorted plastic push in plugs that
are used to hold together assorted plastic body panels,
air dams and inner fender wells and shields. I finally
ran out of my scrounged pieces. $15.00 worth of assorted
plastic push fasteners will keep me going for a year or two.

I picked up the radiator from CarQuest. They have been
converting product to in house store brand over the last
couple of years. The radiator looked better than the
one in the car, it was packed well in a cardboard box
complete with foam pieces for protection. The box was
nicely decorated with CarQuest logo's and decal's but
nicely stamped in large readable letters was the legend
"MADE IN CHINA"
Gee, and just when I was getting used to "Made in Korea"
But everything fit, the holes were lined up with mounting
holes in the car and the quality looked smoking good!
If this does not cure the overheating, I then plan to dump
the pig, maybe I can find a Chinese car! It seems lately
the only thing that American manufactures can do half
way decent is to close factories!

I would rather be working on my Hornet Project rather
than trying to keep my Chrysler running. The Hornet
I bought to work on and enjoy. The Chrysler I bought
to drive. I really did not need another high dollar project
that would be worth squat when I got it done.
I'll probably get it done tomorrow. What a waste of
time.
Sorry, I needed to let off steam! Don't listen!

Obligatory AMC content. When I was in LA last week
I saw Toms Navarro AMC Indy I-6 motor. That is a
keeper for sure. And I think he has said it, every thing
below the head looks stock as the day AMC ran it off
of the assembly line except the Dry Sleeves look a little
funny when you start poking around and I am not used
to seeing an pedestrian AMC I-6 O-ringed. There was
weeny little hole drilled through the block into the oil
passages that appears to be used for additional oil to
the ( are you ready for this?) rocker arm shaft. When
was the last time one saw a rocker arm shaft. What a
strange idea. I mean who would really want a nice
stable mounting platform to locate rocker arms on?
It is much more fun to isolate harmonic vibration and
stability problems and watching the occasional stud
come out of a head when rpms are stretched a bit.

And speaking of the head, when looked at it appears
be a bit massaged, it sure would be fun to see
that sitting in some form of open wheel transportation.
Any one know where one could find an old Indy rear
engine race car?
Somebody must know where one of Dan Gurneys
Eagles are or one of the last Curtises built in Pasadena
might be!
The dreams of foolishness one can have.
Thanks for listening.
John.