[Amc-list] Re; Strut Rod Bolt Size? 70 Ambo

[Amc-list] Re; Strut Rod Bolt Size? 70 Ambo

SNIP
need to tighten the strut rod nuts on my 70 Ambo
and I don't have a socket or wrench big enough.
It looks like it is either 1" or 1 1/8.  Does
anyone know what size the bolt is so that I can
minimize the trips to the hardware store for the
new socket?

It looks like the previous owner put new rubber
bushing in on the strut rods, but did not have
a deep enough socket to actually tighten the nuts...

  Thanks

  John
SNIP

John,
That is a 1 inch nut, and along with the deep
1 inch socket, a 1 inch box end or open end
wrench might be handy to have too!
And should it happen that the threads get buggered
up for some reason where you can not use the
Strut Rod, the 70 Strut Rod is unique to 1970, 71
and up the strut rod is used as a steering stop
also where in 1970 the steering stop is part of
the hardware on the steering knuckle. However,
the 71 up Strut Rod is identical in all other aspects
so obtain a 71 + strut rod from whatever and using
a bench grinder and some files re-shape the end so
it is the same as the 1970 Strut rod and go ahead
and use it.
I was able to use this method of repair on my
Donohue when the strut rod threads were destroyed
by rust.
John.