[Amc-list] Tires for Your Mat/Amb

I seem to recall someone was looking for modern equivalents to the old H78/14 tires that came on his Ambassador Wagon.

According to the Old Timers Tire Guide, the following sizes are translated to new sizes thusly:

Old size	80 series 	75 series	70 series
C78-14		175-14		185/75-R14	-
D78-14		-		195/75-R14	200/70-R14
E78-14		185-14		195/75-R14	205/70-R14
G78-14		195-14		215/75-R14	225/70-R14
H78-14		215-14		225/75-R14	230/70-R14

The problem with the larger sizes is finding a source.  This might be of interest:

	http://www.coopertire.com/html/tireselector.aspx

If you want the equivalent to the G78-14's your wagon came with, enter 215/75-R14:

	http://www.coopertire.com/html/tireselector_bySize.aspx?twtd=215&artw=75&rd=14

This will return an old-school style "whitewall" radial that will look like what came on the car.

Ambassador wagons had an H78 option; but Cooper doesn't have a listing for the equivalent.  But you can go up one notch to a 235, and get a 70 series instead, and get darn close to the H78 size:

	http://www.coopertire.com/html/tireselector_bySize.aspx?twtd=225&artw=70&rd=14

They even have a 235/60-R14:

	http://www.coopertire.com/html/tireselector_bySize.aspx?twtd=235&artw=60&rd=14

This is a pretty big tire; perfect for your Matador or Ambassador -- and you can still use your stock AMC wheels so you'll have the correct offset and backspacing.  Plus, as I recall, Coopers are generally very reasonable in cost.

-- Marc