Re: [Amc-list] was: but: Ford Torino, Now Tornado

Re: [Amc-list] was: but: Ford Torino, Now Tornado

Here's a little blub I found about the Kaiser 230
engine:

http://home.off-road.com/~jseries/kaisereng.html

On another website I learned the Kaiser advertised the
1962 version of this engine at 140 hp "net" while
other manufacturers were still using gross horsepower
ratings in their publications.  Also, the engine got
14 to 17 mpg in its original high compression
configuration, which was pretty good for the time in
vehicle like the Jeep wagoneer. Kaiser lowered the
compression slightly in 1964 because of complaints
about pinging on the gas available at the time.

My future father in law had two 1964 Wagoneers in
Indiana as new vehicles, a light blue one and a dark
blue one.  Although I didn't know a camshaft from a
broomstick back in those days and I was more
interested in his daughter than his Jeeps, I'm sure
the engines in those Jeeps were Tornados because they
sure weren't V8s.

I have seen a couple of the 230s in the big local
pickurpart yards here in CA.  I was so tempted to pull
one last year, or at least get that cast aluminum
valve train cover to put on the wall of my garage.
Never did.  Might still get the chance.  I think it
would be neat to put one in my 63 Classic wagon.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA