Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel - Did AMC ever create one?

Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel - Did AMC ever create one?

" From: greg_taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"
" I've never seen this pop up in AMC discussions before ... did AMC ever
" create a V8 diesel prototype?

the closest i know of would be the hummer with the gm 6.2/6.5, but
that doesn't count.

" What would be involved in converting an AMC V8 over to make it a diesel?
" An idea I've been milling around for my '89 Grand Wagoneer.

lots.  you'd have to -make- cylinder heads, not to mention just about
all the rotating parts, and you have to fit them to tolerances only a
fraction of what a gas engine can accept - one of the things that
killed the olds 5.7 diesel.  even then the block probably isn't strong
or rigid enough for diesel stresses.  there's a reason the cummins and
powerstroke weigh 1000 lbs...

imho you'd be better off getting one of those chevy engine swap kits
and using it to put a gm 6.5td in, with a 700r4 or 4L80e.

btw am general has been making the 6.5 ever since gm dropped it for
the isuzu 6.6 in '00.  i also hear they improved the castings when
they took it over.