Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel--Did AMC ever create one?

Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel--Did AMC ever create one?

Not that I'm aware of. AMC likely didn't have the R&D budget to delve
too deeply into this.

But, regarding your idea of converting your existing V8 to diesel: one
word: DON'T!

GM went down that road in the late 70s/early 80s with their notorious
260 and 350 V8 diesels. Based on an Oldsmobile V8, these beasts were
well known for breaking crankshafts and blowing head gaskets in addition
to simply being noisy and underpowered. GM did some minor beefing-up of
the gasoline versions of these engines and called it a diesel. Their
warranty claim rate on these engines was extremely high, which led to
the eventual phasing out of the diesel program in GM passenger cars. It
wasn't uncommon for GM dealers of the era to install a gasoline Olds V8
in place of the original diesel and convert the car to regular gasoline
usage. Today it's extremely rare to find any of the GM diesel cars still
sporting their original drivelines and it's even more rare to find one
that's still original and still running. I've seen otherwise pristine
cars languishing in yards/sheds/junkyards due primarily to the fact that
the diesel engine was a lemon and the car died an early death.

One upshot of the GM diesel program is that the diesel 350 engines are
sought after by those who race Oldsmobiles. The extra beefiness GM
designed into the diesel 350 lends itself well to severe abuse. Racers
can build one hell of a gasoline engine from the diesel block.

Nobody wants the diesel 260. Except, maybe, for those few intrepid souls
who desire a bone-stock restoration on a car of the era.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit