Re: [Amc-list] XJ diesel (was Re: Pearly Whites)

Re: [Amc-list] XJ diesel (was Re: Pearly Whites)

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"    I'd do the Toyota diesel swap in one if I could stand the smell of oil
" burners (even SVO smells nasty to me). There's a place in Chilliwack, BC
" (Canada) that sells takeouts of various overseas small diesels. The 2LT
" would be simple and perfect for an XJ or MJ power wise. I drove a couple
" Hiluxes with that drivetrain (albeit 5 speed and not AW4 auto) doing
" deliveries.

just thought of 2 details needed for an xj/mj up to ~'96: '84-'90
instrument cluster with mechanical speedo/odo, and non-pump fuel
pickup for the tank, which is the same '84-'96.

" My other option would be the Nissan Maxima diesel with auto
" (related to the one used in CJ10s) due to their proven longevity.

they'd be smooth [2.8L six] but iirc not that powerful.  was there
ever a turbo version?

and wasn't that auto an aw4?  i don't think you'd want the cj10 th727.

and btw the cj10 powertrain was lifted from diesel scouts.  they used
nissan and iirc mitsubishi diesels in the late '70s.

"    I keep wondering about the Toyota Corolla FWD diesels I see for sale
" around here. (Saw 2 for $500 that needed parts from one to fix the other)
" Didn't know if a bellhousing was available to run them RWD though.

my info says rwd corollas would have a 2.0L 2c-t, 80-90 hp, 120-130
ft-lbs.  they'd probably have g-family gearboxes.

nothing specified for fwd models.