From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Pearly Whites
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got a book written by a former Chrysler/Jeep engineer. He
states in it that some engineer working in the design department
at the time the XJ was designed really didn't like the I-6. He
intentionally designed the engine compartment so that the
existing 258 couldn't be easily shoehorned in. AMC wanted a six,
and the 2.8L was all they could get. There was supposedly a V-6
based on the AMC V-8 on the drawing boards, but finances didn't
support that much work. Thus the 4.0L was born and the engine
bay (firewall, mainly) changed to accommodate it. According to
him anyway.

I never knew what possesed them to even install the 2.8.
I moved heaven and earth anytime I heard anyone I knew was
shopping for an XJ.
I always said drive them both and don't pretend the 2.8
actually runs better cause it don't! I talked more then a few
people down to the 2.5 four. The only difference between the two
in actual driving was the 6 was a bit smoother running.

--
Mark Price