Re: [Amc-list] Pearly Whites

I've got a book written by a former Chrysler/Jeep engineer. He states in it that some engineer working in the design department at the time the XJ was designed really didn't like the I-6. He intentionally designed the engine compartment so that the existing 258 couldn't be easily shoehorned in. AMC wanted a six, and the 2.8L was all they could get. There was supposedly a V-6 based on the AMC V-8 on the drawing boards, but finances didn't support that much work. Thus the 4.0L was born and the engine bay (firewall, mainly) changed to accommodate it. According to him anyway.

I never knew what possesed them to even install the 2.8.
I moved heaven and earth anytime I heard anyone I knew was shopping for an XJ.
 I always said drive them both and don't pretend the 2.8 actually runs better cause it don't! I talked more then a few people down to the 2.5 four. The only difference between the two in actual driving was the 6 was a bit smoother running.

--
Mark Price

--
Frank Swygert