Re: [Amc-list] brake fluids

A: That's Dot 5 fluid. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point plus additives for
ABS computers over the Dot 3. FWIW, I suggest only using Castrol GTLMA (low
moisture absorptive) with real rubber seals. Especially if you have a Jeep
with the manual clutch cylinder made by Girling (says right on it to use
only the GTLMA) When you put the other stuff in them, the seals tend to fail
in 6 months or less (even on the brand new master cyls we sell!) Directions
in the box for the master cyl say to use only the GTLMA or equivalent.

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] brake fluids
To: amc list <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

i have heard that if you use the dot 4 (i beleive)
silicone brake fluid in a regular dot 2 or 3 system,
it will eat out all the rubber seals. i dont want to
use the silicone fluid. but what about the other way
around. i have a master cylinder from a military
hummer. brand new. not rebuilt. we use the silicone
fluid. does anyone know if there are problems using
regular dot 3 fluid in a silicone suited m/c?? i hope
not cause i didnt even think about that till after i
blead the brakes and have had it on for about 3 days
now.... oops, shoulda thunk a that earlier?? lol.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules