[Amc-list] Re; 70 Donahue (Donohue)

John pretty much summed it up.  I have an all original Donohue, which I've
talked to people that saw it come off the truck as such, with an April build
date.  So, unless you find the build sheet you'll have to take it for what
it is, an awesome and fun car to own.  There is a Donohue registry with some
information.

Good luck and I hope you find that's it's a real  Donohue
Dan Whitehead

Snip
Can anyone tell me if I can identify a Mark Donahue by the VIN or is
there any way to tell if it is a true Donahue? I am looking at one
that may be but I want to know for sure. Thanks
Snip

As far as I have been able to determine, the only factual documented
information on the existence of a Donohue is that the option itself
consisted of a $39.00 Spoiler and the decal attached. And this option
was only available on an SST. All other legitimate AMC options for
an SST Javelin were available but not mandatory. The only manufactured
Donohues that were counted towards the required number necessary
to certify the configuration (the spoiler) were manufactured between
Dec. 1969 and March 1970 according to the sticker on the door, but as
the option was available during the rest if the 1970 model run it is not
impossible to find one manufactured later than that.

Of course when these cars were new and lived in the rust belt, doors
were replaced due to rust and also due to accident damage thus the
sticker is not necessarily proof positive. Both doors on mine were
replaced in the late 70's due to advanced rust problems with the doors.

The only piece of paper that may indicate whether the car is a Donohue
or not is the build sheet, however as those build sheets can be
reproduced to indicate almost what you want them to indicate this is
not proof positive.

There for you can not proof beyond a shadow of doubt that a particular
car is a Donohue. However you also can not proof that one is not!

This is arguably one of the most controversial models AMC built.

If you find one that you can believe what it is, enjoy it for what it
is, I do.