Re: [Amc-list] fsj 232/th400 [was: AMC Ads]

Re: [Amc-list] fsj 232/th400 [was: AMC Ads]

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The AMC TH-400 case didn't come along until around 1972 or 73. It
" was used through 1969.

you must mean -1979-...		;^>

" Prior to that
" the "universal" model TH-400 (same as the Buick "Nailhead" case/bell --
" it was also sold as the universal to other makers because the shallow
" bell left plenty of room for an adapter -- the old Buick Nailhead had a
" deep flange on the back of the block) was used with a cast iron adapter
" ring 1.5"-2" thick. The ring was used mostly with the AMC 327 (65-67 in
" FSJs), but some Jeep sites report that a similar setup was used with
" 71-72 AMC V-8s. The 327 has a different bolt pattern than later AMC
" V-8s, of course.

oddly, the universal/nailhead case was also used with the buick 350
powered '68-'71 jeeps - i've seen one, and it totally boggled me.

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" John wrote:
"
" Jim, as far as I can tell, the BW AT's were only used up to '65,
" at least in the SJs.  My shop manuals cover the other models,
" and we
" know that Jeep often produced or used parts well after their
" "sell by" date,
" so it's possible the AS-8F's were used later... but from
" my SM-1402 it's clear that ALL engines used the TH400 after '65.
" Including the 232s...
"
" http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/FSJ-trans.html

i knew that!  the mitchell interchange shows this also.  it just
doesn't say how many...

it also suggests that a few ohc230s may have gotten th400s in '65, as
they were transitioning to the amc 232.