[Amc-list] Coffin Nose

I too do not especially like the look of the Coffin Nose Matadors, but I have one. It was just too nice to pass up.  Interesting story.  I was at a Station Wagon Club show a few years back and met a guy who works as a modeler in styling studios.  In the 70s he worked for AMC ad we had a good time talking about AMC styling.  I mentioned I had a Coffin Nose Matador and was not particuliarly fond of the look.  He started laughing and said the Coffin Nose was done as a joke.  The styling bosses wanted a bold new look for the Matador and had rejected all of the ideas submitted.  Finally a stylist did the Coffin Nose as a joke to show how ridiculos one could get and it was immediately accepted.  Oh well.  Not fond of the look but my car is a clean low mileage example.  Wish I could find a low mileage Matador Wagon with wood paneling.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  Most I find need a lot of restoration work and I have too many projects now.

Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler