[Amc-list] Road trip, was Re: Re; 'Flexible Flyers' - Radial Tires. and

[Amc-list] Road trip, was Re: Re; 'Flexible Flyers' - Radial Tires. and shot springs

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 13:31 +0000, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Yeah, well, you drive your cars into the desert!!! Loaded!!! I bet they don't sit too high once you get'em packed!

I try not to load it that much! The real limiting factor is the little
air-cooled Borg Warner. That thing scares poo out of me, the idea of it
going up in smoke 1000 miles from home.

I'm driving to Santa Fe today, in the Hornet. It will be 120 in Needles
CA today, so I'm leaving late afternoon, to cross the Mojave early eve.
Taking the oldest dog with me, she's 10, and an excellent traveller.
REALLY LIKES having her own motel bed! (Dogs sleep for $5 extra at Ash
Fork Inn! (AZ)) How I got a week off I'll never know but I will drive
off before anyone can stop me. (Gotta go to the Black Hole in Los Alamos
to do a photo project, plus visit friends in Santa Fe.)

No A/C. Foiled by one fitting, the one that goes in the top of the AMC
condenser. #8 'female' O-ring type,90-degree, but with a male nut. Found
one, but mailorder, too late. Stupid Hornet, can't even do 4 by 60 AC
(eg. windows open), don't got no wing winderz! It was a sad day when
wing windows disappeared; it marked the end of my interest in "modern"
cars (actually, I'm serious).

(Now the 62 Ambassador, !FOUR! wing windows! Superior car! 19MPG at 70
with 327 V8! That was a road trip car!)

http://wps.com/AMC/images/1976-Ambassador.jpg

(Prep for my first X-country road trip (Cape Cod to Bremerton WA).)