Re: [Amc-list] 'Flexible Flyers' - Radial Tires.

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 13:26 +0000, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You can compensate for sloping pads with shims under the tires.
> Front work can be done easier by sandwiching commercial floor tile with wax paper between it.
> Once you get the footprint of the car you can mark the pad.

Oh that's a good process. Wax paper as a 'bearing'?

>   For toe I'm still in the stone age. I use a tape measure to a section of tread and hope I get the same spot front to rear. I need to make up the stuff to do it correctly.
>   Way back when, the old timer at the first dealership I worked at use a spring loaded contraption with a nail in it.
> You jacked the corner of the car up. Chalked the tire while rotating it. Then you placed this spring loaded gizmo with the nail against the tire and then rotated the tire marking the chalk. You could either measure or use a real toe gauge agains the mark in the chalk. It was fool proof, well almost, since you were ignoring an irregularities in the tires. Should be easy to make to with some scrap steel.

I think I get that... assuming you don't move the chalk, you make a line
around the circumference of the tire, doesn't have to be in the center
because you're just measuring difference, back and front.

I have a vague memory of my father doing something like that -- I don't
remember the chalk but we're talking > 40 yrs ago -- with a broomstick
and coathanger pieces.

>   My Camber gaugeis just a little cheap one from a circle track place. But it seems to be accurate enough. If I had more cars I'd buy a better one. I always figured I was doing it till I could take it to the shop. The first time I tookit to the shop it left worse then it arrived!

Well lucky for me I have a good shop, but they ain't cheap, not that I
mind paying them for good work.

But my steering wheel is no longer centered, off to the left a bit, so I
think a GO@@@#!!!!!@! FU@#@#@@##! strut bushing has changed shape again.
(If the passenger side flattened out 1/16" -- 1/8" it would make that
side toe out; I'd have to turn the wheel to compensate. It does seem a
tiny bit twitchy. Would be nice to measure these things instead of just
driving it in.)