[Amc-list] 70+ AMC front suspension - 'Flexible Flyers'

[Amc-list] 70+ AMC front suspension - 'Flexible Flyers'

My personal interest in this has become greater in the last 10 years or
so as I saw more and more damage to the AMC 70+ front suspension. The
lower control arm is a scary poor design as is the geometry it works
with. But it does work the way it was designed to work. It must flex to
be functional and flex it does. I have now learned how to weld the
things up and restore them back to functional operation, I have had too,
they flex and break with neglect and abuse. Any attempt to take some of
the flex out of the bushing area where only one side of the bushing is
press fitted into the control arm will cause binding and excessive
damage to that area with any mileage put into it and they will break
sooner and more catastrophically.
The manuals will not address the nuances if any of an after market design
but they will attempt to address what AMC wanted done to them in the
first place.
It sure might be nice to come up with some form of a common agreement as
to what that intent was, which is the basis for my request for
information.
One accomplished, if it can be, than maybe after market applications can
too be addressed.
Food for thought
John.

===.===

So boxing in / strengthening or recreating my Eagle control arms in tubular steel - looking to get
out all the flex - will lead to binding and excessive damage ?

Any reports of damage using the Poly inserts ?

--

    =Bt=
milnersXcoupe