Re: [Amc-list] Re; newer Strut Rod Bushings and more

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 16:38 -0700, John Elle wrote:

> They Fail!
> The real question is why?

> Old age, heat causing the rubber to degrade. (It is a
> cool 108 today in an area that has well over 100 days
> a year of triple digit temperatures), neglect, abuse,
> a possibility of replacement parts being inferior, and
> maybe a few other things.

I suspect that the synthetic rubbers of the past were better quality.
I'm sure chemistry is better today and they COULD be made better, but
profit/cost/whocaresaboutrepairs means that they are not.

> Improper installation!

Damn straight! It's confusing, there are so many aftermarket styles
(some actual improvements) that it's hard to know.

You're right, some (Ford?) the strut is in tension, not compression. But
if you put the washers in (the two-piece style with bushing and cup
washers) such that the cup-side compresses the rubber, regardless of
direction of the rod, it's correct. Eg. from principles, not just 1-2-3.

I forget which, but some parts in my mini-research came with good
instructions. I'm guessing, but those are from quality manufacturers who
for some mysterious reason forgot to totally cheap out (or maybe its in
the works for next year).

The crap knockoffs -- some sold by real stores -- don't even know to
knock off the instructions, eg. that it might not be an OEM-identical
part.

The real problem is that it's a weak design, or at least, the weakest
component in our front suspensions, In a moderately-well-maintained car
it's the first thing to go because you can't do it any favors throughout
it's life. Since it's the weakest point, reputable manu's created
improved parts which install differently than OEM. Then the illuminated
manuscripts rot away in some cave, and the monks that toiled silently to
make them, all leave. We're stuck with the mess.