Re: [Amc-list] Brake System Spread Sheet.

Re: [Amc-list] Brake System Spread Sheet.

AMC usually bought parts from more than one supplier. Somtimes they were picky about design, sometimes not. Whether a brake drum was finned, flanged, or plain may not have mattered. Another thing is the aftermarket usually made parts that were slightly different from the factory piece. Most of the time this was due to using one unmachined part for several applications -- i.e.: a 2"x9" plain brake drum could be machined for AMC, Ford, and Chevy applications by changing center hole and bolt patern, and possibly machining the edge to fit. Such a universal application may require a slightly different design.

At this point I don't think it's possible to determine exactly what AMC used -- if they used a specific design or multiple from different suppliers. Brake drums are one of those wear items that will only be original or documentable low mileage original cars. Even some of those have had the brakes overhauled for safety and may not have the original drums. They rust even from sitting, remember! I'd like to be proven wrong, of course!! Even a sampling of known originals could be in error -- there aren't many, and 3-4 examples of 10K+ isn't representative.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"