-------------------
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:27:50 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

* I figured out a simple way -- duh! -- to put 10" brakes on the
American. It's 'bad' but I'll probably do it anyways. Simply swap left
and right steering arms. This puts the rod end about 3" inboard on both
sides, requiring shorter tie linkages. Lucky the inner rod end has
enough meat to chop and rethread. I drove my 63 Classic for a decade or
more with 79 lower suspension using spacers that had all the ackerman
angle wrong, and it was wierd turned to lock, it drove fine and no tire
wear. I'll suffer to get those 10" brakes! (I hope the 10x1.75 rear
brakes fit the American's axle tubes... easy to check but I haven't
yet.)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"