[Amc-list] Re; Staggered Shocks on rear axle.

[Amc-list] Re; Staggered Shocks on rear axle.

Both Mustang and Camero used staggered rear shocks in 1968. Whether that
was the first used or not I don't know, but it predates 1970 which was
the first time AMC used them.
Can't answer the indication that the AMX had them or not in 1970
however, the AMX had factory installed torque links that went from the
chassis to the rear axle in 68 and later and they were  an option on the
Javelin which were there to control axle hop on acceleration. Whether
that has any bearing or not on the OEM installation on staggered shocks
or not or when they were used first by AMC it is probably an interesting
but impossible to verify factlet.
Remember performance was a rarefied black magic art that was certainly
not bantered about by the advertising community to sell cars at that
time. "Back in the day" had whole different meanings then.
Staggered shocks were a cheap manufacturing solution to axle hop and an
inexpensive modification that could be advertised about. However
staggered or not, the installation of Air Shocks would either break the
shock mount or punch a hole in the floor of the trunk.
John