[Amc-list] staggered shocks

Staggered shocks are supposed to help control rear axle wind-up better on leaf spring and four link cars. The shock in front should be on the right side, I believe (due to open diff hitting the right tire harder). The theory is that one in front controls winding rate while one in back controls release (unwinding) rate -- dampens the force of winding/unwinding. Of course with a torque tube or torque arm (V-8 Monza and 4th gen Camaros, etc.) there is no wind-up problem.

-----------------------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:02:41 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Air shocks on Jav/AMX---a fix I found years
	ago

Here's my take on the staggered rear shock mounting on the 70 Javelin/AMX
cars.
In 69 the shocks are not staggered (both are behind the axle). In 70 AMC
staggered
the shocks (one in front of axle one behind) to enhance the cornering
ability of the
car. Reason? Trans Am homologation regulations for racing???
Yeah I know that's not why, but it's a good story, ain't it?
This here Duane guy has a great bunch of questions, I've often pondered why
the
shocks are staggered on the back of a 70 Jav or AMX. Anyone know why??
Armand

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"