Tom Jennings
<mailto:amc-list%40amc-list.com?Subject=%5BAmc-list%5D%20Staggered%20Sho
cks%20on%20rear%20axle.&In-Reply-To=000801c7b921%24e23a2830%247cde0d82%4
0john1> tomj at wps.com
And I've read somewhere that AMC pioneered this technique; is this true?
Snip

As far as factory goes, it was a pony or muscle car using rear leaf
springs that drove the need for type of design and as AMC was rather
late in this market and did not do it until 1970 leads me to believe
that it was not first. Who ever was I do not know, but Mustangs,
Barracudas
and early Cameros and Firebirds all had leaf springs and I would be
willing to bet that each of them or all of them had them factory
installed
before AMC did it on the Javelins in 1970.
Something that used a torque tube drive such as 64 Ramblers did not need
to control rear axle twist, as it couldn?t and neither would something
with coil springs and a 3 or 4 bar rear suspension or using trailing
arms with coils.
I pick 64 as the first Mustang was 64 and ½.
All conjecture on my part as to who was first, but my money goes on the
guess that it was NOT AMC.
John.