Re: [Amc-list] 9" vs 10" Brakes

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 17:10 -0500, Class Guy wrote:
> Again, it's not the surface area or the amount of pressure to push on
> the shoe.  When you apply more pressure, you step into the realm of
> coefficient of friction, heat, etc. etc. until you stop the rotation.
> Then all the stopping power transfers from the brake system to the
> traction of the tires. Can 1/2" extra lever be that effective???  With
> the levels of force we are dealing with here, yes it can.  How much
> additional force is applied with a 1/2" extra stroke in an engine?
> Quite a bit.

OK, thanks. The answer is, the friction/force formula is more
complicated than it appears. I meant to question it, eg. to illuminate
it, not to doubt it. Clearly the factory went to the bother -- and
there's not too many left-handed-lug-nut foolishness in mechanical
design.

I SUPPOSE I could go read a book or sumptin' :-)

Thanks for the additional info!