[Amc-list] Why did I ever mention Chevy?

[Amc-list] Why did I ever mention Chevy?

Tom, appreciate your comments and comments by some others on the board. I
just thought I'd pass on what is happening in the Jeep world around here and
a possible alternative power plant if your AMC engine dies and can't be
fixed. When I said "bad engine" I meant an engine that is broken and won't
run. My Gremlin engine has 302,248 miles and is still going strong. If you
will go to the Gremlin X site and click on Turbo Gremlin you will see my
Gremlin and my story. I live about 80 miles SE of Memphis and have the only
Gremlin or AMC in the whole area as far as I know. I've received a lot of
looks and some good comments on the Gremlin. I lived in Little Rock, AR when
I was working on the Gremlin Turbo and went to U-Pull-It fairly often to get
parts for the Gremlin and my son's Mustang. The last time I went to LR I
dropped by U-Pull-It and went to where the AMC cars were usually kept, not a
single car. I stopped by the office and talked to the manager, he said that
when an AMC came in they crushed it immediately, they had a couple of
Hornets sit there for a couple of years and not one part was sold so they
don't waste the space on AMC cars anymore. He added that most of the ones
that come in have been sitting under a tree or in a field for 20 years and
are in bad shape. Ten to fifteen years ago they had a good stock of AMC cars
because LR had a strong AMC dealer up until the late 1970's. Interesting
comments about the Chevy 350. It's hardly boring and will run like Jack the
Bear with the right parts. As I said earlier, I'll drive my Gremlin with AMC
power as long as it will run, but if the engine dies and I can't find an AMC
V-8 I'm sure not going to just park it or junk it. The replacement will be
an engine that will put out lots of horsepower and won't cost an arm and a
leg to buy and install. The 350 fits the bill, I've worked on and rebuilt a
number of Chevy engines in the last 45 years, so I can maintain it myself. I
had a 1961 'Vette with a 315 HP FI engine and close ratio four-speed. That's
what I really need for the Gremlin.