Re: [Amc-list] More How 'bout a Chevy?

Have to agree with Bart here, bad engines my a$$. I took the heads off of my
70 304 at 90,000 miles because
one of the exhaust valves caught something on it's seat and wasn't sealing
perfectly anymore, it would kind of
go rum, rum, rum, rum, psst, rum, rum, with no particular rythm. I was
astounded to see that the cylinder bores
still had the crosshatch pattern in them. I had to call my freind over to
look at it so I had a witness to back me up
when I talked about it.
I had a chevy 327, that I took apart with 90,000 miles on it. There was no
evidence of a crosshatch in the bore, and
the ridge at the top was enormous.
My 70 304 now has 106,000 miles on it.  Still uses virtually no oil.

Clarence,
My take was correct on this whole chebby crap in an AMC. You admitted it and
you were successful.
All you wanted was some one to get a rise out of it and give you some
attention. Well you got it.
I think it was rather disrespectful of you to bait every one here and I have
little respect for you now because of that.

For all of us,
The engine swap thing doesn't happen to just AMCs, if it makes anyone feel
better, I've seen every make
of vehicle (especially street rods) with non brand engines in them. For that
matter how many of you have
not seen a Ford, Dodge, or whatever street rod with a GM 350. Heck even non
chevy GM cars ended up with chevy
350s from the factory. After all there is no longer a Buick, Pontiac, etc.
engine, they are all GM engines now.
Cadillac is the only GM division with it's own engines, and that probably
won't last forever either.

I liked the history lesson we got from John (i think) where in he says that
AMC outsourced so many parts and pieces that
one can track lineage to almost any manufacturer! When people used to give
me the business about my AMC having a Ford starter and a Chevy distributor I
just responded that AMC knew what was the better designs and since all other
engines were such crap AMC made it's own engines but used the best
components from various manufacturers to help accentuate the best product on
the market, AMC cars with AMC engines......................

Armand