Re: [Amc-list] More How 'bout a Chevy?

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 12:43 -0500, Clarence Milstead wrote:

> Good to see all of those thoughtful posts, some not so nice, but what the
> heck. Some seem to think there are AMC V-8 engines lying around all over the
> place, maybe, but not here. I think all of the AMC cars have been crushed
> and the engines used for boat anchors or something. The last Gremlin I saw,
> other than mine, was about four or five years ago. It had a SBC and would
> really smoke the tires. In all of my years going to the salvage yard I never
> saw a V-8 engine in a Gremlin, Hornet, or Concord. I did see a 401 in a
> Grand Wagoneer but that was about 10 years ago.  I bought my Gremlin new and
> don't plan on selling it so price isn't a problem. It's never been in a show
> and probably won't be. I don't think they have AMC shows in this area. If
> you would like to see my Gremlin and learn more about it go to:
> http://www.gremlinx.com/index.htm. Some really great looking Gremlins on
> this site.

Where in He-double-L do you live?

There's not that many AMCs on the Left Coast, but I do occasionally see
(or, saw) then the U-Pull-It in Jeep products.

Many AMCers won't like your car with any non-AMC motor in it, but I
think there's a special odor to the chevy 350. It's a great motor of
course. The problem is those are the kids that beat us up in high
school, and we hold a grudge (I do :-)

In non-personal-malignment terms, the 350 is boring. Common as dirt (OK,
expensive, sometimes fast dirt). Now if someone propose putting
something INTERESTING in there -- or otherwise particularly appropriate,
like a little Ford inline six in the Americans which have severe space
constraints -- you'd probably get at least begrudging respect for
interesting work. But a 350? As obvious as falling down the stairs.

I can see the appeal of simply having a really fast really slow looking
car, period. How you get there is your business of course, but you can't
expect everyone to like it. As long as you do it's fine.

Like find a Wankel, and stick it in a Pacer. Now that would be cool!!