Re: [Amc-list] Where has all the 20-W-50 motor oil Gone?

John Elle wrote:
> Still looking for 20-W-50, I use it year around.
> My engines don't use oil between oil changes.
> This stuff disappeared over night, not tapered off. I don't usually
> make the word conspiracy appear in my vocabulary but this one
> is making me think it.

It may be simple economics. There's a push for the newest cars to
transition to 5W-20 oil. To make room on finite shelf space, retailers
might be making a decision to cut their lowest-volume product, which
could be the 20W-50 that used to be there.

John, you're in Phoenix, right? Try this place:

http://www.westernstatespetroleum.com/

They sell some obscure oils by the case, lots of stuff that retailers
won't carry, but shops sometimes order, they'll keep in stock. For
instance, I use an oddball straight-weight oil for an aircraft, and I've
found that driving down there to pick up a few cases at a time is the
only cost-effective way of keeping it that I know of.