[Amc-list] Rebel vs. Matador 6-cylinder engine setback and wheelbase que

[Amc-list] Rebel vs. Matador 6-cylinder engine setback and wheelbase question

Hi all

I know that the 4-dr. Matador and Rebel share the same body metal from
the windshield back but the wheelbase is 4" different. How does this
affect engine setback?

On my 1973 Matador, if I run a string in the engine compartment from the
top of one shock absorber to the other, it passes over the engine
exactly over the #4 cylinder exhaust port i.e. the back half of the
shared center exhaust manifold leg.

If someone has a 6-cylinder Rebel, can you check that for me and tell me
where that string passes over your motor?

Also, there is about 5" of space between the rear of the head and the
firewall on the Matador. Is there that much space there in a Rebel or is
the head pretty much up against the firewall?

Last question: Can the engine be moved back 4" in a Matador?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Doug