Re: [Amc-list] Where has all the 20-W-50 motor oil Gone?

Re: [Amc-list] Where has all the 20-W-50 motor oil Gone?

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" It's getting oil change time again and I went out to stock up the oil
" shelf with 20-W-50 and the shelf's at COSCO and Wally World are bare.
" I have not seen 20-W-50 at COSCO for over a month and when I went by
" Wally World, they had one 5 gallon jug of their house brand oil
" and 12 quarts of the house brand oil. All of brands of 20-W-50 not
" present except a couple of qt. bottles of Castrol.
" As I would rather have Wally World house brand 20-W-50 than not have any
" at all I bought it. But how-come it isn't there any more.
" Anyone have a clue?

there probably aren't enough older high-clearance engines to warrant
carrying it anymore.

there's been an oil thread over on the strokers list.  if you're
trying to protect your older engine from cam wear and failure, what it
comes down to is zinc and phosphorus levels; they've been reduced as
they slowly poison catalysts, and modern roller tappet valvetrains
don't need it anyway.  [maybe cause and effect?]  the article kyung
linked to is especially enlightening; the old zinc phosphate levels
were apparently set from research published in a 1977 sae paper it
mentions.

in short, what most of us want to look for is an API rating of SG, SH,
SI, or if necessary CI.  or add a can of GM EOS with every change.