Re: [Amc-list] gas mileage

Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Gas mileage
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 20:18 -0500, Clarence Milstead wrote:
>I think most AMC cars came from the factory with restrictive exhaust
>systems. Opening up the exhaust system is one of the best things you can do
>to increase mileage. My 1971 Gremlin picked up two miles to the gallon when
>I installed Clifford headers.

When I brought home the 75 Matador Wagon from VA last summer, I was
"impressed" to say the least that I got 12mpg.  Luckily the Concord Wagon we
took down got 16mpg, but then on this trip hit 20mpg to at least average out
my expenses.

Well, I had trouble getting the exhaust manifolds to seal after detailing
the engine, replacing all the rubber hoses and a complete tune up.  It still
got 12mpg.  city highway whatever.  Well I just finished putting headers on
and dual exhaust and it works just like advertised  25% increase, went from
12mpg to 15mpg!

Also the horsepower increased but I'm nut sure how much.  IF it's really
faster or the great sound makes me feel faster.  It was fun at the
Springfield show watching everyone turn around to the "cool sound of a
muscle car"  then there is a BigMatWagon.  Expressions were fun.

Now to work on the rest of those areas talked about and see where it goes.

Richard

Richard Estermyer
PhotoGraphics
6235 S. Mohawk Avenue