Re: [Amc-list] Rear Main seal leaking

Don,

The factory procedure is to support the engine lower the engine cross
member. Unless you have a lift and a fixture to hold the engine, it's
probably just as quick to pull the motor. You may want to make sure it's
leaking from the rear main and not from the back of the intake manifold
where it meets the block. That's a common leak point. Also, the crank
doesn't move that much when it gets oil pressure (a few thousands of an
inch is all). The seal should be able to handle that small amount of
movement without any problem.

Matt

Don Johnson wrote:
> Well, the engine is in the 70 AMX and I finally got an exhaust system on it.
> Got the engine fired up, then after fixing 2 fuel leaks on the Holley, 1 oil leak on the left valve cover and a couple of vacuum leaks that I should have plugged before starting the car, I found an oil leak at the back of the engine.
> Does anyone have recent experience dealing with that?
> Does the engine need to be lifted slightly to get the pan off?
> Any other tips?
> I will be working on the car again in a week and would like to have a plan.
> The engine sat over a year on an engine stand, rebuilt with all new gaskets in place.
> I'm thinking the crank pushed the seal down from sitting so long and when the oil moved the crank up, there was enough room to leak.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Don

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH