Re: [Amc-list] Re; Mileage

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have always felt that the "Economy" versions of Detroit engines
" were rather cheap to build and economy was an illusion. The I-6's
" and the 2bbl v8s were so down on power and under carbureted that
" when flogged it was all they could do move the dead weight down
" the road. My experience has been over the years, put a good
" performance cam in them (do not over cam them) and move the
" HP  band up in the rpm range you did not flog them as hard
" and economy would improve and then install a 4bbl which will
" run on smaller primaries than a 2bbl is, the economy would jump
" again. But the car still had oomph behind it.
"
" I have built a couple of horse power I-6 cars that were quick
" enough but fuel mileage would improve like mad with them too.
"
" Anyway, that has been my experience.

fits perfectly with what i've seen, for the '60s anyway.  economy
engines were supposed to save you bucks buying and fixing them;
mileage wasn't really on anyone's radar.