Re: [Amc-list] Parking lights won't work

Re: [Amc-list] Parking lights won't work

1969 was the first year the front parking lights had to stay on all the
time. Prior to that, they mostly turned off with the headlights on.
There are lots of changes each year starting in 1967 due to the 1966 US
motor vehicle safety act. Canada also passed similar laws around the
same time.

Safety regulations are also why chrome trim disappeared from dashes and
steering wheels around the same time (that was either mid-year 68 or
mid-year 69), why lap belts showed up in 1968, why we got collapsible
steering columns for 1967, and why AMC redid the structure on Americans
during the 1968 model run.

Matt

JOE FULTON wrote:
> On a 1964 model car I believe the parking lights were
> not meant to stay on with the headlights on.  The
> vehicle code changed sometime in the late sixties to
> require the parking lights along with the headlights.
> The idea was to give oncoming drivers a warning that a
> car and not a motorcycle was approaching.
>
> Joe Fulton
>
> --- grobblee@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Just got this 64 Ambassador, and all the lights work
>> properly except that when I turn the headlights on
>> the front parking lights go off.  Directionals still
>> work.  I have cleaned up all ground connections and
>> checked continuity between the wires at the
>> headlight switch and the parking light conector  all
>> good.  Also plugged in new headlight switch, problem
>> still persists.  Any ideas what could cause this?
>> Thanks
>> -Gary

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH