[Amc-list] 2wd trans (was Re: Spirit Mileage re: was Where's my sign?)

A: If anyone is interested, I have a 2.5L 5 speed AX5 trans (from my '86
Comanche) for sale $50, but it comes with the carbed bellhousing (no hole
for the CPS) and flywheel/clutch. I'll also have a BA 10/5 from my '87
Comanche up for $50 (can be test driven until I pull it for my auto trans
swap)
   I'm getting myself another '83 J10 on tuesday (to replace my J4000 I
rolled. I hope it's a long bed!) with 258 and bad auto trans (I have to
choose between several 727s or a 999 from the '82 Spirit with 904 output
shaft swapped and I'm even thinking about doing an AW4 conversion instead)
   If I go with the 999 swap (least technically challenging and I already
have most of a rebuild kit for it) that'll leave me the pieces to do a 4 cyl
2wd 904 trans from the leftovers. It was a TBI trans and I still have the
Renix TBI flexplate and CPS for it.
   If I could find the AW4 bell, flexplate and converter for Renix TBI, I'd
go that way on the '86 Comanche I'm bring back to life (it only has 300,000
miles on it)

From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Spirit Mileage re: was Where's my sign?
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."
<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Marc,

Having owned an Iron Duke Spirit in which I rebuilt
the engine so I know it was running right, your
project goal just "might" be doable.

I got a max fuel economy in the very low twenties with
my set-up (Iron Duke (carbed) with 904 auto).  19-20
mpg was more routine.

I do recommend that you stay with (or go to) some
narrower radial tires to meet your mileage goals even
though they might look kinda "old lady".

Good Luck,
Joe Fulton