Re: [Amc-list] squeeks and rattles

A: I ran the timing well advanced (almost to the point of ping) in my J4000
until I rolled it and I averaged 14 mpg with up to 6500 lb loads. Either you
have a bad power valve, too high of float level or timing too retarded (or
something else in the mix) The higher the manifold vacuum, the better the
mileage is. (the power valve opens more as the intake vacuum drops. The
lower the starting point on the vacuum, the lower the fuel economy with a
Motorcraft)

From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] squeeks and rattles
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."
<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rattles gone, clunks gone. Thanks again for the tips guys.
I took some photos of the process. Maybe one of these days I'll
figure out
how to post them.

Couple more annoying things left to do now is all.

Speedometer needle still bounces around when speeds are under 35
to 40 mph.
I tried unhooking both ends of the cable and rolled the car back
and forth.
Then tried
just the cable under the dash, still getting the bouncy bouncy.
I like that
in a girls chest
but not with the speedometer needle. Wish I knew what the heck
was with that
thing!!!!

Drove the car to Spencer Iowa and back a week ago yesterday.
About a 114
miles on the
odometer, used 9 gallons of gas, that's 12.66 mpg. That sucks!

Remember it's a stock 304 with the Fomoco 2 bbl, 2.87 gears,
G60-14 tires
and T-5 manual
with .63 overdrive. I wonder if running in 4th gear instead of
5th would be
better. Gotta get a
tachometer so I know what rpm its running at 70 mph.

I wonder if the power valve is toast again. I rebuilt the carb
about 5 years
ago, it sits all winter long,
but i do start it occaisionally in winter and let it warm up.
Maybe I got
the jets mixed up?? Can't
remember what the bowls look like, if that's even possible.

Have a good one all,

Armand