Re: [Amc-list] brake drums

A: Don't trim the edge of the backing plate! That's where the strength of
the braking comes from. I saw someone grind their's down (quite a few years
ago) to run smaller drums and the plate sheared off with the wheel cylinder,
resulting in no brakes on one corner!

From: farna@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] brake drums
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

It should be possible to interchange front and rear drums of the
same thickness. Front drums come off the hubs -- drive the studs
out (get new ones to put back in!) then press/knock the drum off
the center hub. The center hole in the drum should be a snug fit
on the front hub, but should work even if it's loose like a rear
drum. It can't be to loose or it won't center correctly on the
brake shoes though.

Overhanging the backing plate will be a problem. The backing
plate has a turned in lip that fits inside a groove on the drum
-- at least all I recall seeing do. The lip could be cut off the
backing plate, reducing the diameter enough that it will fit
inside a slightly wider drum. That should provide just about as
much "seal" as the lip and groove -- enough to keep most water
and such out. Since most people only drive their AMCs in good
weather the affect should be minimal. Just be a bit more careful
in wet weather as more moisture could get in the brakes,
reducing their effectiveness slightly.