Re: [Amc-list] 1967 Rebel Wagon with Overdrive 232 Six

Re: [Amc-list] 1967 Rebel Wagon with Overdrive 232 Six

There are wiring diagrams for 60s Ramblwers on www.tocmp.com (search the site -- it's great!) or better yet www.mattsoldcars.com has a 66 wiring diagram that will be similar enough to the 67 as far as overdrive is concerned. There is a switch in the governor that prevents power from going to the solenoid until a speed of 28-35 mph is reached. The solenoid actually puts the OD in gear. It would be a good idea to pull both the solenoid and the governor out (not difficult with the trans in the car, but easier when it's out, of course), open them up, and clean the contact points. The points get burned over time just like ignition points, then the OD quits working. The wiring MUST be right in order for it to work. It's not difficult, but the kick-down switch must especially be operating correctly.

You don't have a T-96 -- that was used behind the little 195.6 or the 199 engine. The 195.6 was pahased out in 1965, and the 199 was only used in the big car in 1966 as a fleet option. The 232 should have a T-86, not a T-90. The model will be cast into the side of the transmission as T-86x, where "x" is a letter. If it's a T-90 I'll be surprised to say the least! AFAIK the T-90 was only used in Jeeps, but Andrew Hay or Jim Blair know more about Jeeps than I. The problem is most likely worn bearings and synchronizers. In other words, it needs a simple rebuild. Rebuild it before anything breaks and you can probably get by without replacing any of the gears or shafts. Wait until it breaks and costs will go up tremendously.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"