[Amc-list] update on 66 Ambo compression problem

[Amc-list] update on 66 Ambo compression problem

Tom..thank you for your suggestions on the "dry" tank...I never knew residue left could be a problem or that  a dry tank even had residue that considerable...hope it's not my problem.(.wow what was i thinking?) as I'm sure that would mean pulling the head...and in doing so would bring up a whole lot of other issues about how far to go into the engine while it was down.  I will do that before any cranking resumes.
  Also thanks for the tip on the heater valve...I will certainly look into that as soon as I get it running again.

  Dave.....thank you for the compression comments and questions.  Here's more details on what I have....
  cyl # 1...not tested---a/c compressor in the way
  cyl #2 ...160psi cold engine
  cyl #3....160psi cold engine
  cyl #4.......0psi cold engine
  cyl #5.......0psi cold engine
  cyl #6 ......0psi cold engine
  The engine has probably ran approx 15 times since first starting and maybe up to opperating temp 4 times.
  Also checked valve train again....all pushrods tight and all rocker arms tight no slack in any of them.  I figured if I had a valve stuck open I would find slack in one or multiple rocker arms.  The Zero psi compression reading is on rear 3 cylinders.This  is what startled me into thinking maybe broken  cam or crank though I've never had that happen under cranking condition but who knows; anything is possible I guess.
  All pistons move up and down when crank is turned also.
  Also checked distributor to make sure it was turning to make sure I didnt have a broken timing chain and it was turning and points were firing.
  BTW....I never worked on the 6 cylinders much and when I did it was 20 yrs ago when I had dozens of these cars and have forgot a lot...but I remembered when I was going to do a compression test last night had to get my wife to crank the engine as starter solenoid is on starter instead of firewall....what's a quick way to hook up jumper under the hood to crank engine without a second person to assist.
  Again....thanx for all who have responded and who might to this current message....your insight is much appreciated to us everyday do it yourselfers!!!
  Have a great day all AMC'ers and thanks to all who are keeping AMC alive!