Re: [Amc-list] 15" rims for Ambo wagon?

Mark Price <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>http://directwheelcenter.com/viewcart.php
>
>Shows cooper trendsetters as available, but who knows?
>They also show the height as 27 inches.
>
>http://dirtvideos.com/tire_height_chart.htm
>
>This chart series seems to show the best matches as either a 205/75/15 or a 215/70/15.
>
>For wheels you need a 5X4.5" pattern. Used will take ford or Mopar, just watch the wheel centers as some are to small and don't clear the AMC's center.

Hey those are useful links.  Just bookmarked 'em.

Roger Blake <rogblake@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>> I've been trying to find tires for a 1971 Ambassador 3-seat wagon and
>> am finding that the large 14" size that it uses (H78-14, or in today's
>> sizes, 225-75R14) is just about impossible to find. My regular tire
>> shop says "nobody makes that size any more." The tirerack.com web
>> site doesn't list any that size, going one size down to 215-75R14
>> just brings up a couple of selecions for trailer tires.
>>
>> I was thinking that it might be easier to find suitable tires in
>> a 15" size. What 15" rims from "Brand X" vehicles would fit the Ambo?
>> (Chrysler? Ford?) What 15" tire size would give about the same overall
>> tire diameter as the originals?

I also had a 72 Ambassador wagon and ran up against that brick wall.

RWD Ford **cars** (best later-model bets are Crown Vickies and Grand Marquis) with 5 lugs from about 2001 backwards will fit.  I believe 2002 something changed about them and they won't interchange right on the older cars, but I forget the particulars.

The further back you go (like back into the eighties or seventies) the more choices you'll find but they will allbe much plainer.

The Crown Vic / Grand Marquis of the 80's and 90's almost always came with interesting alloy wheels, and even if they didn't, I believe they stopped putting 14" wheels on at all in the early eighties -- so any of them you walk up to in a junk yard are almost guaranteed to have something in a 15" you can use.

You're on the right track trying to find the same diameter as the largest optional tire on the cars.  The AMC wheel housing is somewhat forgiving but their optional sizes were pretty much the limit.  Go bigger and something will rub.

As I recall the Ambo is most likely to rub at the tie rod ends and on the upper spring cradle.  Be sure to check the backspacing and wheel offset on any wheels you buy, as these will determine whether there will be interference.

Too big a tire will hit the fenders on turns at the front and when the springs bottom out at the rear.

-- Marc