Re: [Amc-list] 66 American Questions

" From: "Marc Merkle" <merkle123@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hi Folks,
"
" I have a 66 American 220 wagon that I am looking to convert from manual
" steering to power and also from a 3 spd std. to a Borg Warner auto. out of a
" 68 American.  I have the tranny and a steering column for the automatic.
" and a power steering box from an AMC product of unknown origin.  I also have
" the brackets, pump, hoses etc. to fit the 199. I don't have a steering
" column shaft that has a rag joint at the steering box (mine is a solid
" shaft).  Can anyone tell me what shaft will fit my application and If
" someone may have one.

'64-6 converts commonly had the rag jointed shaft.  you could also
swap a '67-9 column in without too much work, mostly wiring; afaik
they all had rag joints.

if you didn't already have the sill plate ps adapter, i'd have
suggested a chevy vega ps box; it has the pre-'75 manual box bolt
pattern and should need no adapter.  in any event the ps box doesnt
have to come from an amc; gm units over a wide span of years are
identical and it's still in use with trivial variations.

" I also need to know if the speedometer gear from the
" T-96 will fit the BW.

i think so but i'm not sure.