[Amc-list] Re; Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 versio

[Amc-list] Re; Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 version of the 252

Andrew
Snip
" What is the interest in the 252 other than History. The engine dates
" back to 1934 and it developed 75 hp at 3200 rpm. A real power house in
" it's day and application I am sure, sporting a compression ratio of
" 5.54:1 and 217 cu in. It was in production for a long period of time
as

wasn't there also a straight-8 version, or was that of the family it
replaced?
Snip

AFAIK the straight 8 used in the Nash was not related to the I-6 other
than they were both made by the same company. Where as the I-6, this
one anyway morphed it's way through the ages until the late '60's in
one form or another and a variety of sizes. , including flat head and
over head valves. What is interesting to me is that the last versions
had a relocated water pump in the front of the block.
I have a new water pump on a shelf that I bought based on the
reputation that it is an AMC or Rambler water pump. But after needing
a water pump this year and checking it closely it is nothing like the
water pumps used on the 232/258 engine.
This location was pretty much universal for most cars, but then again,
a lot of the '30's designs of engines were based on the size of engine
compartment that they had to live in rather than whether they were
a sound mechanical design or not.
Not that they were the only one's to play that game. The last of the
Studebaker I-6's were overhead valve versions of the flat head and
if I remember them correctly still had the side inspection plate
installed
that was removed to set the valve lifters as needed as a flat head.
Proprietary engines powered a lot of '30's cars but in the Kaiser, they
still using a proprietary engine in 1954 when the went out of
production.
If I am not mistaken so did the Checker through the '50's some
where. A part of what I find interesting about that era is the number
of manufacturers that used the GM hydramatic  at that time. It kinda
makes me wonder just how universal that transmission was in it's
applications.
The MOPAR slant -6 replaced the old flat head which I think was
first designed for the Plymouth when it came out. Or close to that
time anyway and was used up until 1959 in MOPAR cars and after
in industrial applications, fork lifts etc. That engine as I remember
form high school era was prone to throwing connecting rods all over
road if pushed hard. The biggest problem at that time was again,
more paved roads, heavier cars and faster cruising speeds. In the
40's and 50's it was two different blocks and four different sizes.
John.