[Amc-list] Today in vacation land

Or "How I spent my day off".
The American suffered a meltdown of it's Autometer Sport Comp electronis speedo yesterday.
It happened after I drove it to Lowes to pick up some stuff [I'm allowed to driveit for errands, my policy has a waiver for this"! Anyway, the speedo started bouncing from zero to 120, very annoying. So, today I dropped the speed sensor and spun it up with my cordless drill. Of course the thing worked perfectly. Not being sure of the problem I chose to fix the only thing I could think of that was free. I built a heat shield for between the exhaust pipe and the speed sensor. I then took it for a ride and still the speedo works. The only thing left to do I can think of right now is to send the details out to Autometer and see what they say. I worked too many years as an technician to think of sending in a part that works! It can be very difficult to fix things that ain't broke!!!
   Next up, While I had the car on jack stands I got out the diegrinder and some cutoff discs and reworked the drivers side strut bracket for additional clearance. Before you build pics of a hacked strut mount, forget it ! I spent a good while contouring it and making it purty. I will be VERY surpised if I removed enough to do any harm. I just needed a 1/4" more clearance or so. When I drove it for the speedo I also tested the exhaust clearance. The noise is gone! Before when leaving out the clutch and gasing it above about 1/2 throttle it would vibrate against strut bracket. Now, that noise is finally gone! :] One more detail cleaned up!
  This afternoon I pulled the drivers side seat out of the Cherokee and welded the entire seat  bottom back together. The thing had managed to seperate to the point that once I unbolted it from the floor and took the lower cover off, it FELL apart!!! Mind you my wife was driving this around, when I got in it a week ago I said, "This seat is broken". She said, "Really, I don't see anything wrong with it"!!! Geez, Go figure. You could wiggle the seat back six inches to either side! Now it is solid. I also reworked it to get another 1" if set back, Not much better, but enough. The 97 up models are a little cramped for someone 6'2".
  Now my shoulder is hurting. At least I got some things done. Anyone know anything about putting outer rockers on a XJ? This ones going to need at least the drivers side doen before winter :[
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV