Re: [Amc-list] Cigar (rette) lighter wiring

On Mon, 28 May 2007, JOE FULTON wrote:

> I don't smoke but want the accessory power socket. A
> previous owner cut the wires to the cigarrette
> lighter. I have found the brown (power) and black
> (ground) in the harness but I don't know how to attach
> the black ground wire to the lighter can.  I presume
> the brown wire attaches to the center post.  How does
> the ground wire attach?

So you have the type with the sheet-metal threaded collar that
screws on from behind? Sort of two tubes that thread together,
the inner one inserts into the dash hole and the outer one
threads on from behind to hold it in (and makes the ground
connection).

Hmm, plastic-dash'ed cars got an outer piece with a tab sticking
up for a faston female to attach to. Metal dash cars dont
need it.

If you have one from a metal-dash car I think it's otherwise
identical; you could jimmy a wire between the two pieces
maybe... say strip 4" of #16 stranded wire, wrap around the
inner piece then thread on the outer?