[Amc-list] Overdrive gearing.

Snip
cruise at 76 mph @ 2400 rpm.
Snip
That works out to be 31.6 mph/1000 rpm, a number that I have found to be
pretty much about ideal or at least a good compromise.
My Donohue cruises easily any freeway speed with a Mustang T5 and a
3.15:1 rear axle using P205-70R14 tires and
5th is easily used at slower non freeway speeds.
My two 80 Spirit based cars with a factory 2.53:1 rear axle, the Spirit
with P245-60-15's and the AMX with P205-70-14's both will cruise easily
at freeway speeds. One with a factory stock smog legal carbureted 258
and the other with a not so factory stock smog legal fuel injected 258
and automatic transmissions will easily pull the hills with the
carbureted one getting just a bit poopy at the upper end due to being
under carbureted.
The P245-60-15 combination works out to about 31.5 or so miles per
hour/1000 rpm also.
Personally I would not want a rear axle in the 3.5x+ range on any of
these cars or the ones I am building.
That has been my experience so far.
John.